Every year, hundreds of thousands of people are injured in car accidents, with many of those injuries being fatal.
According to the NHTSA, nearly 43,000 people lost their lives in 2021, which was a 10% increase over estimates of roughly 39,000 in 2020.
While car accident attorneys understand some of the change is due to lower driving traffic in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the increase in fatalities was astronomical and the numbers are continuing to go up.
Ironically, research suggests that although there were fewer drivers on the road in 2020 and the start of 2021, risky driving behavior increased that resulted in more car accidents, not fewer.
Texas Leading the Pack In High Car Accident Rates
Today, car accident lawyers see that accident rates are still on the rise.
In just the first tabulated quarter of 2022, there were 9,560 traffic fatalities throughout the U.S. and what is even more troubling is that these figures account for 1,071 traffic fatalities in Texas alone.
Texas has always had a higher number of car accidents and continues to lead the pack of other states with an average of 10 fatalities every day on Texas roads.
As these numbers continue to rise, it could not be more clear: Texas residents must take steps to become safer drivers.
How Can Texans Become Safer Drivers?
There are no new ways that car accident attorneys have not discussed before for becoming safer Texas drivers.
Doing so simply involves understanding common sense driving safety and practicing it:
- Follow the Posted Speed Limit - Speeding is one of the leading causes of preventable traffic accidents. Always drive the speed limit or slower if road conditions require it.
- Be Observant - Pay attention to what is happening on the road ahead and around the vehicle. Avoid ‘zoning out’ and stay observant of other cars, pedestrians, and the surroundings in general.
- Avoid Driver Distractions - Avoid activities like texting, talking on the phone, eating, and other distractions while driving. Lawyers warn drivers to remember that it is illegal to text and drive in Texas, as it is a distraction that frequently leads to car accidents.
- Refrain From Aggressive Driving - Drivers must keep their emotions under control and avoid aggression behind the wheel that can provoke situations or lead to actions that result in accidents.
- Buckle Up - When car accidents do happen, seatbelts save lives. Seatbelts are required for all drivers and passengers in Texas, as they save the lives of thousands of people involved in accidents every year.
- Use Common Sense - Practicing defensive driving and using common sense judgment to avoid dangerous situations is essential for maintaining driving safety.
- Take A Safe Drive Course - A driving safety refresher course and getting involved with safe driving initiatives can help more Texas residents avoid dangerous car accidents and become more aware of their driving. Texas’ transportation commission is involved with various programs that teach and encourage safe driving habits and many insurance companies reward drivers who refresh their driver knowledge by passing a driving safety course.
Contact A Car Accident Lawyer When Accidents Happen
Car accident rates are on the rise, especially in Texas.
Reported accident numbers suggest that Texas drivers must focus more on driving safety to end this deadly trend and make Texas roads less deadly.
For those who still end up in an unsafe situation, an experienced car accident law firm can help.
Reach out to an attorney who understands accident causes and the damages that can result to receive the best representation in any car accident case.
Hildebrand & Wilson, LLP
7930 Broadway, Suite 122
Pearland TX 77581
Check Out Who is Posting This Article!